Gluten-free Orange Quinoa Muffins
Makes 6 jumbo muffins (approximately 12 standard sized muffins)
- Wash and zest rind of one orange. Puree the fruit (remaining rind peeled away) with a food processor or hand-held immersion blender.
- In a large bowl, combine melted coconut oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, orange zest, orange puree, eggs and yogurt (aka all wet ingredients).
- Whisk wet ingredients until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add 1 cup cooked quinoa to wet ingredients and combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Grease muffin tin with shortening and lightly flour.
- Fill muffin cups almost until full (these muffins will rise a little but not a ton).
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup quinoa on top of the muffins.
- Bake at 350° F for 35 minutes if using a jumbo muffin tin, 25 if using a standard muffin tin.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from pan.