Apple, Pear, Date and Walnut Pie
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 stick cold butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped dried dates
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- Heat over to 350 degrees. Grease and flour pie pan.
- Whisk together sugar, salt, and flour.
- Work butter into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter, your fingers or two knifes. Incorporate butter until batter resembles course crumbles.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time and work into the dough.
- Work dough into a ball and flatten into a thick disk (about 1 inch thick).
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove after chilling and roll into ¼ inch thick round.
- Pull the round over pie pan allowing edges to hang over.
- Toss apple and pear slices with nutmeg, cinnamon, and tapioca flour.
- Add dates and honey to the mixture.
- Transfer fruit mixture into prepared pie shell
- Cut and crimp edges of pie dough
- Add lattice, dough cookie cutouts, or other pie designs to the top of the pie.
- Cover the pie with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes
- Remove aluminum foil, turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown.